Question: How to deal with a narcissistic son, age 27? I am a mother.
Answer: Dealing with a narcissistic son can be challenging, but there are strategies you can use to help manage the situation:
- Set boundaries: Make it clear what kind of behavior is acceptable and what is not. Be consistent in enforcing your boundaries and be prepared to walk away if necessary.
- Avoid feeding into their ego: Narcissistic individuals thrive on attention and validation. Try not to feed into their ego by giving them excessive praise or attention.
- Focus on your own self-care: It’s important to take care of yourself when dealing with a difficult person. Make sure to prioritize your own self-care and well-being.
- Encourage therapy: Narcissistic individuals often struggle with their own emotions and relationships. Encourage your son to seek therapy to work through these issues.
- Consider family therapy: If your son is open to it, consider attending family therapy together. This can help improve communication and understanding between family members.
- Be supportive, but don’t enable: It’s important to be supportive of your son, but it’s also important not to enable his behavior. Encourage him to take responsibility for his actions and work towards positive change.
Remember that dealing with a narcissistic individual can be difficult and may take time. Stay patient, and focus on what you can control. It may also be helpful to seek the advice of a therapist or counselor who can provide additional guidance and support.